One Couple's Day-to-Day Search for Better Opportunities...and an Honest Paycheck

I started the week by filing my unemployment claim for the day I went unpaid.  I read afterward that I can only claim whole weeks at a time.  Oh well.  I noted in the claim that I had been paid for 4 days of the week.  I think I'm good.

After getting a few hot tips from some fellow ex-employees of Intel (also ex-military), I registered and submitted a few applications for civilian IT jobs posted for Fort Lewis. They looked to be right up my alley. I'm pretty sure that if I can get anything, it will probably have to be IT-related, even though my talents stray quite far from there.  There just isn't too much else to be found around the Olympia area for me right now.  I'm okay with that.

Allison suggested that I purchase my own domain and start some sort of  Geek-for-Hire website.  I've got it parked and ready for content at www.techbyken.com.  Part of the idea of this website is to be able to express my enthusiasm and knowledge of topics that might not make it onto my resume.  I need to work on that some more. 

Blogged with the Flock Browser

Posted by Unknown Wednesday, October 28, 2009

2 comments

  1. Unknown Says:
  2. You got some good leads! I hope some of them pan out this week or next. How nice it would be to be working again before unemployment checks start rolling in! :)

     
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. I agree! I'm ever so very hopeful.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe here

Why Are We Here?

On October 15th, our paycheck-to-paycheck family suddenly found itself without a paycheck. Because we are both nerds and bloggers, we decided to write about our experiences. Maybe you'll find something new here, or maybe just simple commiseration. At any rate, we didn't feel like suffering in private. We hope you'll stick around.

Connect with Friends!